| |

Yogurt -- you can do a lot with fermented milk if you make it yourself

Yogurt.

A dairy product produced by bacterial fermentation of milk.

I've been eating so much of the stuff that I've gone back to making my own.

It's so easy to do .  Outlay is cheap: the cost of the milk.

So if yogurt is your staple: Make it yourself.

All you need is a cooking thermometer. There are sight and feel methods but they aren't reliable unless you are well practiced.

For me now, yogurt making is routine. Every few days given my consumption.
  • Simmer the milk to 82 C (180 F) while stirring.
  • Let milk cool to 43 C (110 F).
  • Add two tablespoons of already made yogurt.
  • Cover the container. Keep warm and insulated overnight.  I use my cooking bags but any insulated container or sleeping bag/dooner like cover would do.
  • Refrigerate.
For some reason this is called "Greek"yogurt if you strain off the whey . But you really needn't bother.

I have yogurt smoothies for lunch. My preferred blend are either with pawpaw or berries. You can suit yourself.

For Lassi stir to a smooth blend one part chilled water to two parts yogurt. I sometimes use chilled green tea instead of water.

For making curries -- and I prefer yogurt based North Indian curries to their southern cousins made on coconut milk -- follow these tips to prevent curdling if it becomes a problem.

I also use plain yogut as a condiment with köfte meats, roasts and tomato dishes like Sicilian Caponata. There is also a large range of Middle Eastern sauces which are yogurt based. 

So for drizzling or dipping, or salad tossing you can do a lot with fermented milk.


 

1 comments:

Blogger | May 6, 2017 at 5:44 AM

3 Researches PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

The meaning of this is that you literally get rid of fat by eating coconut fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from major medicinal magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

Post a Comment